Friday, August 10, 2012

The Sandal Sisters

Our traditional feet in the sand photo opp.
Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness... For the past eight years, I've laid claim to my unalienable rights by heading to the Outer Banks (OBX) in North Carolina for a girls' beach weekend. These annual trips keep us connected and sane in a world full of impossible expectations for women. Whenever I feel overwhelmed by everything on my plate and all my goals for the future, I think of OBX. I am reminded that I have wonderful friends who love me just the way I am.

Celebrating my wedding shower in 2011
My Sandal Sisters have supported me every step of the way, even when I was hopelessly lost. They've been there to listen, laugh, cry, empathize, and gently guide me. I am the woman I am today because of these friendships, and I cannot wait to see the women we will become 40 years from now. Who knows we might end up living like The Golden Girls in one of the brightly colored beach houses we rent every year. Our OBX trips will be a major part of our life stories because bonds like we have are special and rare. 

2009

Despite being a ridiculously accomplished group, we aren't worried about impressing each other. In fact, we spend very little time bragging about career and family achievements and more time revealing our fears, insecurities, and foibles. We take comfort in our shared vulnerabilities, but we're quick to remind each other of the amazing gifts we share too. In the midst of all the soul bearing, we still find time to read trashy entertainment magazines, watch college football, walk on the beach, discuss politics, share the latest tech trends, cook gourmet meals, and drink our famous Ballatore mimosas. We hope one day to be featured in an ad campaign for this afforable yet delicious sparkling wine. We'd be lounging on the pristine white beach wearing fashionable sun hats and Jackie-O sunglasses clinking our crystal glasses together in a toast. We've already come up with the tagline, "I simply adore Ballatore."    

Our Baywatch imitation: 
Eat your heart out Pamela Anderson

Our OBX trips started as a bachelorette weekend for my friend Liz who is a PR powerhouse in D.C. In the years since we've celebrated many more marriages and several births including identical twins. We like to joke that Lisa bounced her egg in two because she was training for an Iron Man when she became pregnant. She unknowingly ran a marathon while carrying the girls. I told you this is an impressive group. Lisa summed up our OBX weekends in her own blog a few years back. "The five of us are all Longhorns and began our careers in public relations. We are feminists and well-read politicos. Some of us were closer than others in the beginnning, but over the years friendships have deepened. We have incorporated new and dear friends along the way. We've married. Shifted careers. Gotten graduate degrees. Experienced a heart-wrenching divorce. Had our first children."

Ah, good times!
We have truly experienced the ups and downs of life together. I was the heart-wrenching divorce, and these women were my lifeline. When I tried to hide my heartbreak with humor, they literally dragged me out of my bed and forced me to talk. The next year when I was stumbling through the dating world, they listened to my embarassing stories and somehow convinced me it would get better. A year later I told them about the promising new man in my life, and how afraid I was to give him my whole heart. They told me it was time to trust again and I did. This past year, they threw me a wedding shower at OBX and all of them came to Austin for the big day. I wouldn't have gotten there without these brilliant and beautiful women. They are my biggest fans and I am theirs. To Mary, Magda, Lisa, Liz and Michelle... thank you for being a friend!    

2 comments:

  1. I want a signed copy when you get published. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want a signed copy when you get published. Love ya! You are an amazing person.

    ReplyDelete